After you spent time picking out the perfect crib mattress for your baby’s crib, you’d want to protect it from the inevitable diaper leaks or spit-ups, and provide a longer lifespan to the mattress.
Waterproof mattress covers are an affordable and effective way to add an extra layer of protection. They are such lifesavers to make those midnight clean-ups a whole lot easier.
When purchasing a mattress cover for your crib or toddler bed mattress, here are some things to look for:
- Waterproof Layer: Any mattress pad cover should have a waterproof layer to keep urine, spit-up or other fluids from leaking through to the mattress.
- Firm/Flat Surface: Your baby’s crib mattress cover should be firm and thin, since plush or quilted options could cause a suffocation hazard. A crib mattress pad with a flat surface helps keep baby safe and protected.
- Snug Fit: It is important to pick a cover that fits snugly over the entire crib mattress with elastic edging. This will prevent any bunching, sliding, or shifting.
- No Crinkling: be wary of any pads that seem like it might make a crinkle sound when your baby moves on it. The noise could potentially wake your baby up.
The American Baby Company is one of the most well-known brands of baby bedding supplies in the US. I love their crib mattresses and when I came across their waterproof mattress pad, I knew it would be a quality product. As I expected, this mattress pad did not disappoint me at all.
The top and bottom part of this pad is made out of high-quality soft polyester fabric. The polyester material is very comfortable and feels very natural on the skin. The waterproofing comes from a layer of polyester in the middle.
The pad feels like a quilted mattress on top. As far as the water proofing is concerned, the pad does a fantastic job at that as well. The pads are very easy to clean; just throw them in the washer and that’s it.
I love the fact that there is no crinkling sound with these waterproof mattress pads that I have come to expect from a majority of pads. The pads are very quiet and won’t wake your baby up when he/she turns in the middle of the night.
Another thing that I like about this mattress pad is the fact that it fits very nicely on a standard crib mattress. I have had no problems fitting this pad on top of my 6 inch thick crib mattress at all.
Overall, it is a high quality product and you won’t be disappointed with it’s performance either.
- Soft to touch
- No crinkling sound
- Good waterproofing
- Fits most standard crib mattresses
- Easy to clean
- Although the mattress pad is great, it can cause some pilling if you wash it with warm water. I would recommend using cold water and hang-drying.
This is a must-have for nap and night time potty training. We layer 3 layers of these mattress protectors and sheets, so when accidents happen in the middle of the night we can simply pull away a sheet/mattress protector layer to reveal a clean and dry set underneath without having to change anything at 3 am. These American Baby Co crib mattress protectors have a nice contoured and taut fit and the edges fit all the way underneath the mattress to keep the cover securely in place. They are truly waterproof in that no urine has ever passed through these protectors to the layer underneath. I’ve always washed according to instructions–warm water and tumble dry on low, and have had no issues whatsoever. Highly recommend to protect your crib mattress from any leaks, spills, or accidents. And on a final note: the price point is mid-range.
- Ultra soft top layer
- Great value
- Machine washable and dryable
- Slightly loose on mattress